Meringues are a great low-calorie dessert made mostly from egg whites. We glam them up with chocolate and graham cracker crumbs to taste like s'mores but you can still eat 4 of them for only 100 calories!
Tip: If your s'mores are more crispy and you want them more chewy like marshmallows they will soften once they are stored in a container with the chocolate and crumbs.
should make 50 meringues (medium sized -25 cals each)
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 3 ounces dark 70% chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 215°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place egg whites in the bowl of our stand mixer. Beat on high until soft peaks form. Add sugar in a slow steady stream as you continue to beat. Beat another 3 minutes or so until stiff glossy peaks form. .
- Use a tablespoon to place large spoonfuls on the baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and let them bake for about 90 minutes or until the outside is crisp, they should feel light and hollow. I like to let them bake for 90 minutes at night, then I turn off the oven and leave them overnight.
- When done the meringue should easily peel off the parchment, if not (sometimes if the humidity is high this can happen), put them back in the low temp oven.
- Once done and cool you can turn them into s’mores.
- Put chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, heat for 1 minute, stir and then put back in for 30 second intervals stirring well until it is all melted.
- Put crushed graham cracker crumbs in another bowl. Dip meringues in chocolate and then in crumbs and place on parchment paper. Once cool they can be stored in an airtight container until ready to eat.
- Serving Size: 4 meringues
- Calories: 100
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 42 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g