- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 boneless beef steak (about 1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 3 medium ears corn, unhusked
- 9 cups coarsely chopped romaine lettuce
- 1-1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2-1/2 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chipsDressing:
- 1 large ripe avocado, mashed (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup prepared ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
1 Whisk dressing ingredients in medium bowl until blended. Remove 1/2 cup for marinade and stir in chipotle peppers. Cover and reserve remaining dressing in refrigerator.
2 Place beef steak and chipotle marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
3 Pull back husks from corn, leaving husks attached. Remove and discard corn silk. Bring husks back up around corn; tie in place with kitchen string or strips of corn husk. Soak in cold water 30 minutes to 1 hour.
4 Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Remove corn from water. Place steak in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange corn on grid around steak.
5 Grill corn, uncovered, 20 to 30 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Grill steak 17 to 21 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
6 Remove steak; let stand 5 minutes. Husk corn; cut kernels from cobs. Cut steak lengthwise in half; carve each half across the grain into thin slices.
7 Layer 1/2 of lettuce, corn, 1/2 of beef, tomatoes and beans in 4-quart glass salad bowl or 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish. Top with remaining lettuce and beef.
8 Drizzle with, reserved dressing. Top with tortilla chips just before serving. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.