You will love this one pot dinner/hearty eats like a meal soup. The combo of lentils, chicken and sweet potatoes is not only pleasing to the eye, but incredibly flavorful. It's super easy and leftovers are perfect too.
Serve with my fave garlic toast and you are in for a real treat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced plus 2 whole peeled cloves, divided
- 1 cup French or green lentils
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 to 9 cup chicken broth
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 12 slices sourdough bread
1. Heat evoo in a large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat.
2. Add onion and sauté 5 to 7 minutes. Add 3 cloves minced garlic and sauté 2 minutes more or until fragrant. Add lentils, sweet potato, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and ginger and sauté 3 minutes. Add chicken breast and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 30 to 40 minutes or until lentils are tender. Adjust seasoning to taste.
3. Toast bread in toaster or broil until lightly browned. While still hot, rub each slice with remaining whole garlic cloves until seasoned with flavor.
4. Divide soup among bowls and garnish with green onion. Serve with garlic toast.