- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 4 to 6 medium or large Portabella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/3 cup prepared chunky tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 ounces (about 3/4 cup) fontina cheese, shredded
1 Heat oven to 375 ° F. Remove stems from mushrooms. (Reserve stems to cut up and use in soups, stir-fries, etc). Lightly brush both sides of mushrooms with oil; arrange on a baking pan.
2 Bake for 10 minutes, turning once. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine spinach and tomato sauce. In another bowl, combine green onions, sun-dried tomatoes, and crushed red pepper.
3 Remove mushroom caps from the oven; place gill-side up on baking pan. Spoon spinach mixture into mushrooms, dividing evenly.
4 Top each with an equal amount of the sun-dried tomato mixture and sprinkle with fontina cheese.
5 Return to oven until heated through and cheese begins to melt, 5 to 8 minutes. Serve with additional tomato sauce, if desired.
Source: Photo and Recipe Courtesy of Mushroom Council and Mushroominfo.com