You can use store bought pizza dough, but we have a simple no knead recipe using 100% whole wheat flour that you can keep in the fridge until ready to use. Plus this recipe freezes well so make a double or triple batch, everyone loves them.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 calzonesServings
- 2 lbs. whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 lb. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- ⅔ cup mozzarella cheese
- ⅔ cup shredded parmesan
- 1 tablespoons fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 cup all-natural marinara sauce for dipping
Preheat oven to 450℉. Prepare baking sheet with parchment.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each one out into a circle on a floured surface.
- In a large bowl mix spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, basil, salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 8 circles of dough, keeping the filling to one side.
- Fold dough over the filing and use your fingers to pinch and crimp the edges together.
- Place the calzones on prepared sheet.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes on the bottom of preheated oven until dough is puffed up and golden on top.
- Serve with your favorite all-natural marinara.
- Serving Size: one calzone
- Calories: 390
- Carbohydrate Content: 51 g
- Cholesterol Content: 30 mg
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Sodium Content: 990 mg