Used to be, the neighbors would get together during a Jewish holiday and share kugel. There would always be a variety of sweet kugels, but then there was the rare savory version. Only back then, savory meant merely not adding sugar to a cottage cheese kugel. There were always leftovers that no one would claim. This Spinach Noodle Kugel is savory but full of flavor and will not disappoint. The absence of sugar won’t even cross your mind.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- one 9-inch square kugel; serves 9 ServingsServings
- 2 cup full-fat sour cream (450 grams)
- 5 extra-large eggs (300 grams)
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (30 grams)
- 8 ounce mushrooms, sliced (225 grams)
- 1 small leek, rinsed well and finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon white wine or vegetable stock
- 1 batch Gluten-Free Passover Egg Noodles (6 ounces)
- 10 ounce spinach, chopped (if using frozen, thawed and drained)
- 4 ounce round chevre (goat cheese), Cypress Grove preferred
- 3 or 4 chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch square pan. If using dried homemade or store-bought noodles, parboil, drain, and rinse them in cool water (following the instructions on the package).
- Whisk together the sour cream and eggs. Heat the olive oil in sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add the mushrooms, leek, and garlic and sauté until caramelized. Add the white wine to deglaze the pan.
- Place a layer of the noodles in the bottom of the buttered pan. Add half of the mushroom mixture. If using frozen and thawed spinach, be sure to wring it dry first. Top with half of the spinach. Top with half of the goat cheese. Pour half of the sour cream mixture over the goat cheese. Repeat the layers and end with the sour cream mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or just until the center is set. Let cool slightly. Top with the chopped chives and serve warm.
Credit line: Recipe from Nosh on This: Gluten-Free Baking from a Jewish-American Kitchen, copyright © Lisa Stander-Horel and Tim Horel, 2013. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.