This is my go-to casserole whenever I have spinach or other greens on hand. It's an all-in-one family pleaser, packed with gooey cheese, rich greens, brown rice, and caramelized onions. It freezes perfectly, and is a great dish to take to a sick friend or new mom, since it doesn't take much room in the fridge.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups dry brown rice, cooked according to package instructions
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds spinach, chopped
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1 ½ cups Monterrey Jack shredded cheese (or other mild cheese, shredded)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Dash nutmeg
1. In oil, sauteé onions until caramelized, then add garlic until cooked. Add spinach and sauteé 2 more minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook brown rice according to package directions.
3. Combine rice, spinach mixture, eggs, soy sauce, and nutmeg and toss well. Add ½ the cheese and combine.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a large casserole dish.
4. Pour ½ the mixture into a casserole dish, then top with a but more cheese (same some for the top). Pour the rest of the mixture into the dish followed by a sprinkling of the rest of the cheese. Bake covered for 35 minutes.