When you want that burger experience, but less fat and calories, go for my lean and green turkey burger. Loaded with spinach and topped with a roasted tomato sauce for the perfect balance of flavor and texture.
For the real deal, plus more leaner burger ideas don't miss my 9 Burgers, 9 Ways with 8 condiments article.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 burgersServings
- 1½ pound ground turkey
- ⅓ cup chopped frozen spinach, defrosted and drained well
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sourdough rolls, split
8 tablespoon Roasted Tomato Sauce
- ½ cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- In a large bowl combine turkey, defrosted spinach, and garlic powder and mix well.
- Divide into 4 portions and form into ½-inch thick patties. Season both sides lightly with pepper.
- Cook burgers on a preheated grill for 12 to 15 minutes per side or until cooked all the way through.
- Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Place each burger on a sourdough roll with 2 tablespoons Roasted Tomato Sauce and a few fresh spinach leaves.
TIP: When making burgers, remove the ground meat from the fridge about 20 minutes before forming into patties. Resist the urge to over handle while trying to form perfect-looking burgers. Over handling will cause the meat to toughen.