This salad screams “summer.” And it will be a showpiece at your next outdoor barbecue. The bright pinks, reds, and greens of this dish entice you to eat with your eyes before even opening your mouth. Combining the small watermelon cubes with the crispy radish slices in a simple, light sesame vinaigrette will leave your guests hankering for more. This one is a keeper.
- Prep Time
For The Salad
- 6 cups (180 g) fresh spinach leaves
- 1 watermelon radish, peeled and sliced (1 cup/about 15 slices)
- 3 red radishes, sliced (1⁄2 cup/about 15 slices)
- 1 cup (150 g) diced watermelon(1⁄2 -inch/12-mm dice), chilled
- 8 fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
For The Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. To make the salad, in a large shallow bowl, use your fingertips to gently mix together the spinach, radishes, watermelon, and mint.
2. To make the vinaigrette, in a small jar with a lid, shake together the oil, vinegar, honey, and sesame seeds. Season with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad, toss all together, and serve.
3. Make-Ahead Tip: The watermelon and mint can be prepared and stored in the fridge in separate containers for up to 2 days. The radishes can be prepared in advance and stored for up to 3 weeks. This salad is best when assembled just before serving.