Trader Joes was giving out free pumpkins after halloween so I obviously took one even though I have never cooked one before. I wanted to take advantage of the entire pumpkin so I googled "stew in pumpkin." This soup is based on a recipe from www.allrecipes.com. I left out ingredients that I didn't have and made a few other changes. It was really tasty and a complete meal in 1 pumpkin!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 pound beef stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 potatoes, cut small
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 green pepper, cut
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1 whole pumpkin
1. Heat olive oil in pot, add beef and brown evenly.
2. Add all vegetables, water, and salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil. Let simmer 30 minutes. Add cumin.
3. Preheat oven to 325.
4. Cut off top of pumpkin, remove seeds, place soup in pumpkin, place pumpkin in a dish and bake in oven for 2 hours.
5. Bowl out the soup and scrape the pulp from the pumpkin into the stew