For vegetarians: add more veggies or use a chicken substitute in cubes!
Freezer tips: chicken and vegetables can be made ahead of serving and stored, covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, or frozen for 1 month. Defrost in the refrigerator before reheating over low heat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
Chicken and Vegetables
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced (or 2 cups frozen pearl onions)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 cups favorite fresh or frozen (thawed if using frozen) diced vegetables (peas, sliced mushrooms, green beans cut into 1-inch segments, carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons oat flour
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth or carrot juice
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (this adds a gorgeous golden color)
- 4 chicken breasts, (or 8 thighs) cooked and shredded, or 5 cups shredded leftover chicken
- 4 thick slices of favorite whole grain bread
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- Kosher salt
- Garnish: chopped flat leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
1. Heat a Dutch oven or large saute pan, lightly coated with evoo, over medium heat. Saute onion until medium golden brown, about 15 minutes. Add vegetables and continue cooking until vegetables are lightly golden. Add garlic and cook for just another 2 minutes.
2. Sprinkle oat flour over vegetables and stir to combine. Add chicken broth and turmeric. Bring mixture to a simmer and stir in chicken. Cook, stirring constantly until thick and creamy. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
3. Place bread on prepared pan. Brush bread with evoo and sprinkle with thyme and rosemary. Toast bread for about 10 minutes until golden brown.
4. Place a toast on each serving plate or arrange on a platter. Ladle chicken and vegetable mixture over the croutons.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 filling over 11 slice bread
- Calories: 600
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Cholesterol Content: 135 mg
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 63 g