My favorite spring dessert is simple and classic. I do not want any bells and whistles in my old fashioned shortcakes, just butter and juicy berries. This recipe is only really delicious with butter and real whipped cream. It is simply not the same with margarine and non-dairy whipped topping. The best berries deserve the best ingredients and this recipe delivers. Short on time? No prob-Make the shortcakes ahead of time and freeze them. Allow them to thaw at room temperature before serving.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup half and half
- Melted butter to brush the cakes
- Freshly whipped cream
Heat oven to 450°F.
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
2. Cut in butter. Mix in half-and-half. Drop by large spoonfuls onto a baking sheet.
3. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15 minutes or until brown.
4. Cool and eat with berries, ice cream and/or whipped cream.