Stuffed latkes take the traditional dish up to the next level and make a great side dish or dessert, depending on the filling. Here you have the recipe for the latkes base.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 5 Idaho potatoes
- 1 Spanish onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of flour (optional)*
- Oil for frying
- Latke Stuffing of Choice, see bottom of recipe prep instructions
1. Grate the potatoes and onion using a food processor or hand grater.
2. Add eggs, salt and pepper to mixture. Then add flour (optional)*.
3. In a large frying pan, heat 1/2 inch oil on medium/high heat. It is important to make sure that the oil is hot enough to crisp up the potatoes but not too hot that the potatoes will burn.
4. Place a heaping spoonful of latke mix into the pan. The latkes should sizzle and crisp up quickly.
5. Once latke gets crisp, place filling inside (choose filling below). Top with another spoonful of latke mix on top of filling and make sure that the potato mix on top of the filling completely covers the filling.
6. Flip over and fry for about a minute.
7. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.
*A note about the flour: flour helps the latkes obtain a firmer consistency, but it isn’t necessary for the taste and presentation of latkes.
As published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller (Bitayavon Winter 2011) – Subscribe Now.