This recipe for pesto is more of a guide than anything else, because pesto can be whatever you want it to be. Any greens, any nuts and you can make your favorite kind of pesto.
Get more tips on how to make the perfect pesto plus all the recipes that use pesto here.
- Prep Time
- ½ cupServings
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed
- 1½ cups fresh herbs of choice (basil, parsley, arugula, etc.)
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Toast the pine nuts in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly until golden and fragrant.
- Combine the garlic and herbs in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Add the pine nuts and pulse until finely chopped.
- With the machine running, add the oil in a thin stream and process until fairly smooth. Add the parmesan by hand and season with salt and pepper, stir well.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to one week.