Freezing marinated crisp, firm veggies is a quick, tasty way to preserve veggies like cucumbers, peppers, carrots, and cabbage. Once thawed, they can be kept in the fridge for a few days.
- 2½ pound cucumbers, cut into rounds or slices
- 3 tablespoon pickling or kosher salt
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon whole dill seeds
- 1 cup chopped or sliced red pepper (optional)
- 1½ cup sugar
- 1½ cup cider vinegar
- In a large bowl, toss the cucumber slices with the salt. Let the cucumbers stand for about 2 hours to release moisture and drain.
- In another bowl, combine the salted cucumbers, garlic cloves, dill and dill seeds, chopped red pepper, sugar, and vinegar. Refrigerate the mixture for a few hours so the cucumbers have a chance to absorb the flavors of the brine.
- Remove the bowl from the fridge. Pour the cucumbers and brine in freezer bags or containers and store in the freezer. Thaw the pickles for about 8 hours in the fridge before serving.