I once enjoyed the most amazing Blue Cheese and Arugula Pizza at a restaurant in Brooklyn. Couldn’t stop dreaming about it—and this superb latke is the inspired result. Use blue cheese (for a tangy, bold, sweet and sour flavor) or brie (for a milder, creamy effect) and finish it off with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup whole milk
- Extra virgin olive oil for frying, such as Colavita
- 4 ounces brie cheese, cut into 16 slices
- ½ cup baby arugula leaves
1. In a large bowl, mix together sweet potato, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, eggs, and milk.
2. Heat ¼-inch oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Line a sheet pan with two layers of paper towels.
4. Working in batches, drop ¼ cup batter into oil, and flatten slightly into circles. Fry until nicely browned, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove from pan, and drain on the prepared pan, and continue with remaining batter.
5. Preheat broiler.
6. Remove paper towels from under the latkes. Place a slice of cheese on each latke and broil until cheese is slightly melted and bubbly at the edges, about for 2 minutes.
7. Place two latkes on each appetizer plate and top with a few leaves of arugula.