These brownies are super easy and super delicious. They really don't take much more effort than a boxed mix, but the melting the chocolate is the key to incredibly chocolatey brownies. Using olive oil creates a dairy free brownie to rival any one made with butter.
The chunks of halva spread out amongst each piece will be a welcome surprise for everyone that tries them and the topping of pure tahini swirled into the chocolate is pure decadence.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces halva, divided
- ¼ cup 100% tahini
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch casserole with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine evoo with chocolate and melt over a double boiler or for 1 minutes in the microwave. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs with sugar until pale, about 3-4 minutes by hand. Gently mix in melted chocolate just until blended. Add flour, cocoa and salt and fold in gently, careful not to over mix.
- Break up large chunks of halva and place them on the bottom of prepared pan reserving 1 ounce to crumble on top later.
- Pour batter over top to fill pan. Spoon tahini over top of brownies in 12 spots, then use a knife to swirl it through.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until top is cooked, it’s okay if the middle is a little soft, that will help result in a chewy gooey brownie.
- Immediately after removing from oven, crumble halvah over top. Allow to cool at least an hour before cutting and storing or serving.