Tomatoes are a nutrient-dense superfood known for their high level of lycopene, a form of vitamin A that plays a role in preventing chronic diseases, especially certain types of cancer.
In this recipe we roast the tomatoes to enhance their amazing flavor and the power of the lycopene.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved 1 head garlic, top sliced off
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs, such as basil and oregano 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices whole grain bread, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
2. Place tomatoes and garlic, cut side up, on prepared baking sheet.
3. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with herbs, salt, and pepper.
4. Roast at 400°F for 20 to 30 minutes.
5. Once cool enough to handle squeeze out 1 to 2 cloves roasted garlic and spread on each piece of toast.
6. Top with roasted tomatoes.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 120
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Sugar Content: 3 g