Begin your day with the peaceful energy of the tropics. These Caribbean-inspired waffles are a delicious and light way to help you start your day. Not only will you enjoy the classic tropical flavors, but by pairing this wholesome breakfast dish with a glass of 100 percent Florida orange juice, you will meet your entire USDA daily fruit requirement.
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons Macadamia nuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 100% Florida orange juice*
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract*May substitute Florida Orange Juice from Concentrate Banana Coconut Syrup:
- 1/2 cup Orange juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 banana sliced
- Toast Macadamia nuts in a 350 degree oven for 5-8 minutes until golden. Remove, cool and chop.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a medium bowl combine orange juice, egg, canola oil and vanilla and mix well. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until smooth, and stir in Macadamia nuts.
- For syrup, simmer to reduce the orange juice by half, then add coconut milk, syrup and sliced banana to the saucepan to warm through. Heat a waffle iron and lightly coat with nonstick canola oil spray. Portion 1/2 cup batter on warmed waffle iron.
- Cook until golden brown or until waffle begins to separate from iron. Top with 1/4 cup of banana coconut syrup, and serve immediately.
- Time Saver: If you want to prepare this recipe before making the waffles, simply mix the wet ingredients in a container and store overnight in your refrigerator. Prepare the dry ingredients separately and store. Mix them together just prior to using.
Source: The Florida Department of Citrus