Meat on meat…that’s right. As a carnivore lover, this hot dog is everything I can dream of that fits in a bun. Hot dogs are great, but what’s even better IMO is sausage. My thought process was the following: If I’m already replacing the hot dog for sausage then I might as well add some turkey bacon. Okay, fine. Maybe the two thoughts don’t click, but one bite into this sausage dog and you’ll understand exactly what I mean. The savory sausage, with the salty bacon dipped in chipotle mustard will have your taste buds thanking you
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 4 Kosher sweet Italian beef sausage links
- 1 (8 oz) package of Turkey Bacon
- 1 (12 oz) package of Frankfurter rolls
- 1/2 cup of crispy fried onions, like Onion Crunch
- 1 avocado
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Barbecue sauce to taste
1. Coat a large skillet with olive oil. On a medium-high heat, place turkey bacon in the skillet and fry until cooked through, but not crispy.
2. Option 1: Coat a separate skillet with cooking spray and add the sausage. On a medium-high heat, cook your sausage and constantly turn them in order that they evenly cook.
Option 2: Place the sausage on the grill perpendicular to the grate and 1 inch apart. Turn the sausage every 1-2 minutes in order that they evenly cook.
They will be ready once the outside begins to crack.
3. Once your sausage is cooked through, wrap the turkey bacon around and place back in the skillet until the bacon begins to crisp.
4. Open your hot dog buns face down either on a grill or skillet and toast for 30 seconds.
5. Once your bacon wrapped sausage and bun is ready, add a slice of avocado, onion crunch and barbecue sauce to taste.