We love stuffed artichoke bottoms with ground meat and moroccan spices cooked in tomato sauce. For a lighter, easier weeknight meal we created something simpler with the same comforting flavor profile.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast, 1-inch cubes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound artichoke bottoms and/or hearts, frozen or canned, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- Garnish: fresh chopped cilantro
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat.
3. Add 2 tablespoons oil and chicken. Brown on all sides and remove to a plate.
4. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, onions, and garlic and sauté just until fragrant.
5. Add artichokes. Cook until just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
6. Add paprika, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, tomato paste, and 2 cups water.
7. Cook covered until flavors meld, about 10 minutes more.
8. Add chicken back to the pot and simmer for 1 hour, covered.
9. Serve over whole-wheat couscous. Garnish with cilantro.
- Serving Size: per serving
- Calories: 560
- Carbohydrate Content: 55 g
- Cholesterol Content: 83 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 36 g
- Sodium Content: 215 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g