The classic Waldorf Salad is updated with dried fruit, a healthy, chewy grain and roasted chicken (optional). A heartier version than the original, this salad will take you through the holidays and become a lunch or dinner favorite.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ½ cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons toasted walnut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup barley
- 1 cup shelled walnut pieces
- 3 apples (vary your apples: Honeycrisp, Fuji, Granny Smith), skin-on, cored, cut into medium dice and tossed with lemon juice
- 1 medium celery root, peeled, cut into medium dice and tossed with lemon juice
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 endive bulb, sliced thinly
- 1 small head of radicchio, sliced thinly
- 6 cups baby arugula
- Garnish: dried apple slices, pomegranate arils
1. Whisk mayonnaise, honey, lemon juice, walnut oil, salt and pepper together until emulsified. Set aside.
1. Cook barley in a small pan with 2 cups of water over medium heat, partially covered, for about 20-30 minutes until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Toast walnuts in a small pan over medium heat until visibly darker in color and fragrant, (about 3-5 minutes).
3. Toss apples, celery root, cherries, raisins, endive, radicchio with walnuts and barley. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with dressing.
4. Season arugula with walnut oil, salt and pepper. Divide among 6 plates or arrange on a platter. Arrange salad on top of greens. Garnish with dried apple slices and pomegranate arils.