Jerusalem mixed grill is traditionally made with all sorts of chicken and organ meats for different textures, but the real secret is in the spice blend. It's easy to make it vegan when you have the right spices, it's just about combining different textures, we love it with seitan but tofu or even cauliflower chunks work great along with chickpeas and mushrooms for the perfect combo.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions (sliced into rounds)
- 1 pound seitan, tofu, or cauliflower, cut into chunks)
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 package beech mushrooms (or small button mushrooms)
- 4-5 teaspoons Jamie Geller Jerusalem Mixed Grill
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- Garnish: (tahini, amba, schug, pickles, Israeli Salad)
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add evoo and saute onions until they begin to char. Add seitan or tofu or cauliflower and saute until browned. Add the chickpeas, mushrooms and spicesand mix well, cooking until everything is nice and hot and coated with seasoning.
- Serve in a pita with Israeli salad on the side.
- Calories: 495
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 63 g
- Sodium Content: 1450 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g