The Mediterranean flavors of hummus and feta create a perfect pizza for every day, but it would be a delicious appetizer or hors d'ouevers. So easy using pita or flat bread, really any bread would work.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small (or 1/2 large) red onion, sliced in half moons
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 whole wheat sandwich thins or flatbread or deli flats
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup original flavor hummus
- 2 Tbsp reduced fat feta, crumbled
- 6 pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp oregano
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
2. In a medium sauté pan heat canola oil over medium flame. Add garlic and onion and sauté 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and sauté another 5 minutes; set aside. In a small sauté pan heat 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil over medium high flame, add red onion and sauté 10 minutes or until tender; set aside.
3. Separate sandwich thins into 4 halves, lightly coat each side with cooking spray, place on baking sheet and bake 15 minutes, turning once halfway through.
4. To serve, divide ingredients equally between the 4 halves of the sandwich thin. Spread hummus on each toasted sandwich thin and top with tomatoes, mozzarella, feta and olives. Sprinkle with oregano and broil about 5 minutes until cheese is melted.