The basic recipe for this vegetable kugel uses zucchini, carrots, sweet potatoes and onions, but feel free to ad lib and add any extra veggies you have around.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 medium zucchinis, unpeeled and grated
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and grated(about 1 pound)
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 3 quart. baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, combine zucchini, carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, garlic, parsley, and basil. Mix well.
3. Add whole eggs, potato starch, salt, pepper and oil. Mix well.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff.
5. Fold whole egg mixture into stiff egg whites, then fold in the vegetable mixture.
6. Spoon into the prepared dish and spread evenly. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until golden brown and firm.
Tip: Mixture can be baked in sprayed muffin tins at 375 for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
Use fresh herbs, they make this dish fabulous