Enjoy this vegetarian vegetable stew of chickpeas and butternut squash over a bed of couscous, the perfect Fall easy dinner that doesn't need any meat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 1 butternut squash (about 1¾ pounds) peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (15-to-19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14½ ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- ½ cup pitted prunes, chopped (or substitute golden raisins)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- In a nonstick stockpot heat evoo over medium-high heat. Add carrots, squash, and onion and cook until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in chickpeas, stewed tomatoes, prunes, cinnamon, salt, crushed red pepper, and 1½ cups water; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare couscous as label directs, but use vegetable broth in place of the water called for on the label. Stir cilantro into stew. Spoon stew over couscous to serve.