Taco night is one of the most popular recipes on this meal plan so here is a new version made vegetarian with bonus of cheese. If you're not afraid of greens, add some spinach in the last few minutes of cooking.
Cut cooking time by using already cooked or even leftover potatoes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ½ pound potatoes, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 jalapeno, sliced and quartered
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, gills (underside of the cap) scraped out, mushroom cap and stem sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- 1 cup all-natural salsa
- 2 avocados mashed with lime juice
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- Fresh cilantro
- In a large sauté pan sauté potatoes until browned and soft. Add red onion and jalapeno slices and cook until caramelized.
- Add mushrooms and stems and continue cooking until browned and softened. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes until garlic has softened. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and adjust to taste.
- Toast tortillas over open flame for 10 seconds on each side. Wrap in foil to keep warm.
- Serve tacos and let everyone make their own with potato mushroom mixture as the base and optional toppings as desired.
- Serving Size: 3 tacos with 1/4 cup filling per taco
- Calories: 571
- Carbohydrate Content: 62.8 g
- Fat Content: 30.9 g
- Fiber Content: 11.2 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Sodium Content: 1028 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g