- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 1 pound Wagon Wheels, Rotini or other medium pasta shape, uncooked
- 1/3 pound country-style turkey sausage, casing removed, broken into pieces
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 cup of ale or beer, flat
- 1 28- oz. can low-sodium tomato puree
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 small bay leaf
1 In a large saucepan, cook the sausage over medium heat.
2 Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and reserve. Add oil, onion and garlic to pan.
3 Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent.
4 Add the remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occassionally.
5 Remove bay leaf and add the reserved sausage.
6 over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occassionally. Remove bay leaf and add the reserved sausage. Simmer until the sausage is heated through, approximately 5 minutes.
7 Toss pasta with sauce and serve with French bread.
Source: National Pasta Association