After scooping out the watermelon, turn the empty shell into a punch bowl. Be sure to make this in the summer when watermelon is in season and at its sweetest. Don’t skip the chili salt rim on the glasses, as it balances the drink perfectly.
- Prep Time
- 1 large, ripe seedless watermelon
- ¾ cup silver tequila made from 100% agave
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 lime slices, seeds removed
- 6 to 8 lime wedges
- 6 to 8 chili-salt rimmed glasses
Chili Salt Rimmed Glasses
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground ancho or New Mexico chili
- 1 lime wedge
1. Cut off the top third of the long side of the watermelon. Cut a small slice off the rind of the opposite side so it can stand upright. Scoop out the flesh into a large bowl; refrigerate the watermelon “bowl” until ready to serve.
2. Working in batches, puree the watermelon in a blender. Strain the pureed watermelon through a sieve set over a large bowl. Mix 5 cups of the watermelon juice with the tequila, lime juice, and sugar in a large pitcher. Refrigerate until cold.
3. Pour the punch into the watermelon bowl. Float lime slices on top. Fill rimmed glasses with ice. Ladle punch over the ice, and garnish with lime wedges.
Chili-Salt Rimmed Glasses:
4. Mix Kosher salt and chili on a plate. Run a lime wedge around the rim of each glass and then dip the glasses in the chili salt.
Recipe reprinted from Punch Bowls & Pitcher Drinks: Recipes for Delicious Big Batch Cocktails by Jeanne Kelley and Sarah Tenaglia. Copyright ©2015 by Clarkson Potter/Publishers. Photos by Andrea Bricco. Published by Clarkson Potter/ Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.
Recipe published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Summer 2015. SUBSCRIBE NOW.
Want stories like this delivered right to your inbox? Sign up now for our *free* JOY of KOSHER Newsletter.