This Yemenite soup is a meal unto itself. The secret is in the Hawaij.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 pounds lean beef or lamb cubes
- ½ dozen meat bones
- 3 quarts (12 cups) water
- 2 large onions
- 1 bunch flat parsley
- 1 bunch cilantro, tough stems removed
- 3 medium carrots
- 3 large potatoes
- 2 red peppers
- 3 medium zucchini
- 3 tablespoons Jamie Geller Hawaij
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- ⅓ cup fenugreek powder
- 1 small can tomato paste
- Salt to taste (Put it all the way at the end, and only if necessary; you might not need any, as the meat is salty.)
1. Bring meat and water to a boil in a large pot. Reduce to medium and cook, covered for one hour.
2. In a food processor, coarsely grind the onions, parsley, and cilantro, and add to the pot.
3. Dice all the vegetables small and add to the pot (no time for dicing? No problem: shred them all in the food processor), with all remaining ingredients. Cook 2 more hours.
4. Adjust the texture and seasonings.