If you have never thought to make your own crackers now is the time to start. They are incredibly easy, less than 5 ingredients and you get to control the flavor. Zaatar is one of our favorite Israeli spices that makes these crackers addictive.
Serve with our Israeli 7 Layer Dip.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 40-45 crackersServings
- 1¼ cup whole wheat or spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons za’atar
- ¼ cup hot water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl combine flour, salt, and za’atar, mix well.
3. Add hot water and extra virgin olive oil and mix everything together until a nice soft dough forms.
4. Divide the dough into two pieces. Working with one piece at a time on a sheet of parchment paper, roll the dough to about 1/16 inch thick. It’s okay if the edges are not perfect and straight, just try and make it as even as possible.
5. Place each parchment paper with dough onto a sheet pan, cut with a pizza cutter or knife into 1¼-inch squares. Bake at 350°F for 10 to 15 minutes until the crackers are dry and crisp. Cool before breaking apart with your hands. Store in an airtight container.