Editor's Note: Zucchini Basil Fritters can also be made as a kugel (follow the instructions below). The refreshing taste of the fresh basil leaves make this healthy veggie dish a fun variation from traditional kugel at the Shabbat table.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 large zucchini, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs or 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sliced leeks
- 10 leaves of fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
1. Place grated zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Allow to sit 5-10 minutes, and then squeeze out as much liquid as possible, using your hands.
2. Place eggs in a large bowl and whisk. Add remaining ingredients to eggs, except for the olive oil. Mix quickly.
3. Place the olive oil in a skillet and heat over medium heat. Using an ice cream scoop or small measuring cup, scoop out portions of the mixture and drop them carefully into the hot oil.
4. Using a spatula, carefully flatten into pancakes. Cook 5 minutes or until browned, and then flip. Cook another 5 minutes or so. Lift pancakes onto a paper towel-lined plate. Serve warm.
KUGEL OPTION: You can also bake this dish in a baking pan if you do not have the time to stand and flip the pancakes. Just combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Pour contents in an oiled baking dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 350°F.