A cream pie is a type of pie filled with a rich custard or pudding that is made from milk, cream, flour, and eggs. It comes in many forms, including vanilla, lemon, lime, peanut butter, banana, coconut, and chocolate. A constant feature of all cream pies is the whipped cream topping. The custard filling is related to the French crème patissière which is a key component of various French cakes and tart. It is a one-crust pie.
Five Fun Facts:
- In a 1951 survey conducted by the United States Armed Services, banana cream pie was ranked the soldier's favorite dessert!
- If your banana cream pie has a "black bottom", that means that it has chocolate on the bottom!
- An English variation is called Banoffee Pie - a merger of banana and toffee.
- Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout.
- High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.
- Frozen Banana Walnut Toffee Pie- everything you could possibly want in a pie. Decadent but oh so good!
- Banana Split Pie- instead of individual servings, this is great to serve the whole family.
- Banana Caramel Pudding "Sundae"- Purists can turn this faux sundae into the real thing by using vanilla ice cream in place of the pudding. Or, make it pareve by using soy milk and soy pudding.
- Dairy-Free Banana Rice Pudding- So this is a non-dairy dessert that is so good your kids won't even know. Wow them next Shabbat.
- Warm Banana Sundaes with Almond Dulce De Leche Sauce - grown up dessert that is so good!
Click for more banana recipes.
Nutritional information per serving of Banana Cream Pie (1/8 of a pie):
Fat: 20 g
Carbohydrates: 47 g
Cholesterol: 73 mg
Sodium: 346 mg
Protein: 6 g
Sugars: 17 g