The entire menu is completed in 1 hour, follow the video for the basic menu plan and add a salad and simple broccoli if desired. You will have a glorious Yemenite themed Shabbat everyone will love.
You can even use disposable baking pans for absolutely no dishes.
Make sure to read the menu and recipes first, prepare all your ingredients, preheat your oven and get ready to cook. This menu will come together so quickly, you may even have time to prepare a cholent for Shabbat day. (We didn’t include a cholent, due to its overnight cook time requirement).
Note: Two of the recipes call for Hawaij, a traditional yemenite spice blend, but there are two different kinds. The one for the chicken is the soup blend and you can buy it on Amazon or make your own with this recipe for Hawaij. Make extra you won't believe how it will transform your soups let alone how good this chicken is.
The other variety is Hawaij for coffee, the blend is more similar to a pumpkin spice blend and is a bit harder to find but you can try your local Jewish market or make your own with this recipe.
- Start the hour with an already heated 400°F oven and all ingredients out and ready to use in order to accomplish this menu in an hour.
- Chop onions and carrots, place in baking dish with oil and place in oven to oven-fry. (5 minutes)
- While onions and carrots cook, prep fruit crisp and place in oven. (5 minutes)
- Remove onion and carrots from oven and follow instructions for chicken and rice dish. Place covered chicken and rice in oven to cook. (5 minutes)
- Prep fish and place in oven. (5 minutes)
- Prep broccoli and place in oven. (5 minutes)
- Chop israeli salad (10 minutes)
- Remove crisp from oven
- Remove fish from oven
- Uncover chicken for five minutes
- Remove chicken and broccoli from oven