One pot dinner with 5 minute prep can be yours tonight when you keep this secret spice mix on hand, it truly makes everything taste better.
Using boneless chicken, cuts the cooking time down and is much easier to eat as well. You can also slice the chicken and plate over the rice for an elegant presentation.
Hawaij refers to a Yeminite spice blend that, like a curry spice blend, comes in a few varieties. The most famous yellow hued hawaij is used for savory preparations like soups, stews and braises. You can order our Jamie Geller Hawaij on Amazon.
Get all the recipes and the full game plan for our complete oven baked Shabbat in an hour here.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- 1½ tablespoons Jamie Geller Hawaij, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups chicken, vegetable or beef broth
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs
- 1 cup mixed herbs, for garnish
- ½ cup chopped pistachios, for garnish
- ½ cup dried cranberries, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place evoo, onion, carrot, rice, 1 teaspoon hawaij, salt, and broth in 9 x 13 casserole or deep saute pan. Mix well. Add chicken breasts and sprinkle with remaining hawaij.
- Cover tightly and roast for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, uncover and roast for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with herbs, pistachios and cranberries.