The secret sauce in this recipe is the matbucha, you can buy it in the store or make your own sheet pan matbucha. This is how to get that authentic flavor without all the work to make chraime fish.
This is also one of the few fishes that actually reheats well.
Make our whole oven baked Shabbat in an hour menu and get the Game Plan.
For a different take on this recipe use 2 tablespoons Jamie Geller Chraime spice blend in place of the cumin, turmeric, coriander, salt and sugar.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 1 (15-ounce can) chickpeas
- 8 garlic cloves, left whole
- 1 (8-ounce) container matbucha
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 fillets of fish (tilapia, salmon, halibut all work)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking dish with parchment if desired for easy clean up.
- Pour evoo into pan, top with chickpeas, garlic, matbucha, tomato sauce, cumin, turmeric, coriander, salt, and sugar. Mix well.
- Arrange fillets in a single layer on top of sauce. Spoon some of the sauce over the fish, so fish is coated in sauce.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Serve warm.