These are low calorie and low sugar, but a cookie you can feel good about any time of day. Made with whole grains, natural sugars and almonds for protein. Delicious with a cup of tea.
If you're the kind of person that needs chocolate in all your cookie like treats (we feel you), go ahead and some chocolate chips, 1 cup will add about 25 calories to each mandle bread.
These cookies were good but definitely on the drier side so they need tea or coffee to go with. For me they needed a touch more sweetness or just the addition of craisins would be good. It’s funny though- as much as I say they’re dry and not sweet enough, I keep going back for more- even without tea!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 32 cookiesServings
- 3 ½ cups whole wheat or spelt flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup silan or honey
- 2 packed teaspoons lemon zest, from about 1 large lemon
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Adjust oven rack to middle and upper positions and in a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make a well in the center whisk oil, eggs and silan. Add lemon zest and vanilla extract. Combine with dry ingredients until just mixed. Stir in almonds.
- Divide dough into four equal parts. Shape each part into 3-inch wide log. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Take cookies out of oven and reduce heat to 300°F.
- When cool enough to handle, cut each log on the bias to form 1-inch wide cookies.
- Place cookies cut side down on baking sheet and bake until toasted, 15 minutes more, flip and cook another 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes then transfer for a wire rack to finish cooling. Cookies will keep, stored in an airtight container, for up to 1 week or for a few months in the freezer.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 97
- Carbohydrate Content: 14.2 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 4.1 g
- Protein Content: 2.4 g
- Sodium Content: 51 mg
- Sugar Content: 4.5 g