Sometimes chili is better with lentils than beans, although you can feel free to add beans and/or meat if desired. This recipe is the the complete package, hearty, tasty and filling. The smoky flavor form the spices also helps to satisfy the meat lovers around.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, diced, seeds removed
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups of water or broth
- 1/3 (16-ounce) bag brown lentils, rinsed
- 1/3 (16-ounce) bag French green lentils, rinsed
- 1/3 (16-ounce) bag red lentils, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-2 tablespoons chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced for serving
1. Sautee onion and garlic in a little oil, add peppers and carrots and celery. Once vegetables are soft. Add tomatoes and water or broth and rest of ingredients.
2. Bring mixture to a boil and then cover, lower temperature and simmer for 1-2 hours until cooked through, adjust seasoning to taste.
3. Serve with sliced avocado and even cheese if desired.
Note: you can also make this in a slow cooker - Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Stir well to combine.
Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. Serve warm.