This 5-Ingredient Leek and Potato soup (one of the 5 ingredients is water!) can be varied so many different ways that my family likes to guess what I’ve thrown into the pot. This soup can also easily go from pareve to dairy to meat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 large leeks
- 6 medium all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 8 cups water (or chicken stock or vegetable stock)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cream, coconut milk or soy milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or chives
1. Discard the leek’s fibrous dark green portion.
2. Slice the leeks in half lengthwise. Clean the leek carefully under running water (flip open the leaves and let the running water go through them). Place the leeks, potatoes and optional vegetables in a large soup pot.
3. Pour in the water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, lower the heat, cover the pan partially and simmer for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
4. Puree the soup in a blender or use a hand blender.
5. Return the pureed soup to the pan and add the cream. Chill thoroughly.
Serve garnished with parsley or chives.
Note: optional vegetables: 2 carrots (sliced), one cup frozen peas, small bunch of spinach, 1 cup cut up broccoli