This crunchy Moroccan spice mix invokes warmth with coriander, spiciness with peppercorns and fennel, and lingering aromas of almonds and thyme. Simple, rustic, flavorful and attractive, it adheres to pita bread dipped in olive oil. So, you can prepare a platter of warm, toasted pita bread wedges, a shallow bowl of olive oil, and a shallow bowl of dukkah.
- Prep Time
- ¼ cup coriander seeds
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ cup prepared dry-roasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Pita bread or hearty, crusty dipping bread
- Olive oil
1. Heat a heavy skillet over medium-low heat.
2. Stirring frequently, toast coriander seeds, sesame seeds, peppercorns and fennel seeds until slightly brown and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
3. Cool and transfer to food processor.
4. Add almonds, cumin, thyme and salt.
5. Grind until crumbly; do not allow mixture to become a paste.
Serve Dukkah in a bowl or plate, along with a bowl or plate of olive oil and bread. Dip bread first in olive oil and then in Almond Dukkah so it adheres to the olive oil; serve as an appetizer.
Source: Almond Board of California