What could be more Jewish than potato kugel? (Well, maybe chicken soup, but potato kugel is a close second.) Serve as a side to meat or chicken or as part of a dairy meal with a lop of sour cream.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 eggs
- 4 large potatoes, grated
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil or margarine
- 1 medium onion
1. Finely grate the potatoes and drain – don’t skip this step or your kugel will be mushy!
2. Preheat oven to 450F or 230C.
3. Put the margarine or oil on bottom of baking pan to melt or heat up.
4. Grate onion.
5. Whisk together eggs and flour and add potatoes and onions.
6. Pour into baking pan. Bake at 450 F or 230 C for ten minutes.
7. Turn oven down and bake at medium heat (180 C or 350 F) for an hour until crisp and brown.