The sausage provides a base of flavor for the apple and yellow lentil soup and adds texture and protein to the final product, becoming a meal in a bowl.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 Sweet Jack's Italian Sausages, sliced into rounds
- 2 cups yellow or red lentils
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of chili flakes
- 1 cup shredded Granny Smith apple
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock (or use water and a bit more salt)
- Salt to taste
- Basil or parsley, for garnish
1. Soak lentils overnight. Heat a heavy-bottomed pot on medium heat.
2. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil in pot and sear sausage slices until golden brown.
3. Remove sausage from pan and reserve until ready to serve soup.
4. In the same pot used to sear sausages, sauté onions and garlic until toasty. Add tomato paste, pepper, ginger powder, cumin, and chili flakes and sauté for two minutes. Add shredded apples and shredded carrots. Cook until soft.
5. De-glaze with white wine, and then add apple cider, chicken stock and lentils; sim- mer until soft and almost falling apart. Add salt to taste.
6. Pour the soup into bowls, top with the seared sausage and thinly sliced basil or parsley.