I often whip up this treat after a party, when I look to recycle my leftover bread. Attention gluten-free diners: This is for you too!
Any bread will do as long as it is not too crusty (in other words, don't use baguette or ciabatta!). Nothing to it; all aboard! - one step and you're done! For individual desserts: pour into greased muffin molds and reduce the baking time to about 45 minutes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound loaf soft-crust whole-grain bread, gluten free OK, cut up in large chunks
- 2 cups dariy free milk, low-fat OK
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-fruit apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 tablespoons apricot brandy or rum
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 4 granny smith (green) apples, unpeeled, grated (use a food processor)
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Mix all ingredients except apples by hand in a bowl, breaking up the bread and preserves as you go.
3. Gently fold in apples so as not to extract more moisture.
4. Pour the batter into a greased 9x13 inch pan, a greased 10-inch round pan or a dozen greased muffin molds.
5. Bake for about 1 hour (about 40 minutes for muffin molds), or a little longer, until the pudding looks nice and puffy, and the center is firm.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature, alone or with caramel sauce, and a scoop of sorbet or vanilla ice-cream.