This freeform pie crust with filling is a go-to dessert for me when I am rushed. I can do this in my sleep and it is a crowd pleaser every time. Substitute seasonal fruit in the spring and summer months. In the summer, I love mixed berry galette, peach and blueberry, or pear and fig. Or go with tomato and caramelized onion for a savory twist.
I’ve modified the Classic Pate Brisee recipe here to make one large crust. You can substitute the butter for vegan butter to make this pareve.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter or vegan butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ cup ice water
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cored and thinly sliced, but not peeled3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch or tapioca starch
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Egg wash: 1 egg + 2 teaspoons water
- Caramel sauce (optional)
- Add flour, sugar, and salt to the bowl of a food processor or mixer fitted with cake paddle. Pulse or mix to combine. Add butter or vegan butter, ice water, and egg yolk and pulse until the dough becomes a ball and holds together.
- Flatten dough into a disk, wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once dough has chilled, dust your counter top or surface a small amount of flour. Roll dough in a large circle until it’s ¼-inch thick. Brush off excess flour with a pastry brush, then carefully transfer dough to prepared sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add apples with cornstarch, juice and zest, sugar, cinnamon, and salt to a large bowl and toss all ingredients together.
- Place apples on rolled dough, leaving 2-inches around the edges without filling.
- Fold edges toward the center, allowing the dough to fall into pleats. There will be an opening in the center where the steam escapes and the filling peeks through.
- Brush dough with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. This will make the dough shiny and add a bit of crunch to the dough.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and apples are bubbly.
- Transfer galette to a platter and drizzle with caramel sauce (optional). Cool slightly, slice, and serve.