The dressing and apples can be made 2 to 3 days in advance, and refrigerated.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- 1 head curly endive, washed and torn into pieces
- ½ cup pecan halves, toasted
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
1. Pour orange juice in small nonreactive pan, and cook over high heat. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced to ¼ cup, about 35 to 40 minutes.
2. Place orange reduction, balsamic vinegar, onion, and jalapeño in a food processor fitted with metal blade, process until smooth.
3. With the motor running, slowly add olive oil until emulsified. Add the honey, salt and pepper, process 2 seconds.
1. Heat ¾ cup of orange vinaigrette in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
2. Add apples, and sauté until golden brown, turning until just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; spoon apples on a plate and cool to room temperature.
3. Place endive in mixing bowl, toss with 4 tablespoons of remaining orange vinaigrette, season with salt and pepper, if desired. Divide endive among 4 salad plates.
4. Arrange 4 apple slices on each plate, garnish with pecans and blue cheese. Drizzle with remaining orange vinaigrette.