- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- Cranberry-Apple Salsa:
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 sweet apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup whole cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Apple-Turkey Burgers:
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 large apple, grated
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- cooking spray
- 4 2- ounce whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
1 To prepare salsa, combine sugar, cider vinegar, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
2 Add half of the chopped apples stirring well; cover and reduce heat. Cook gently until apples are soft and mash with a potato masher until almost smooth.
3 Add cranberry sauce to apple mixture and let cool slightly.
4 Add the remaining apples, scallions, jalapenos, and cilantro if desired.
5 Serve with Apple-Turkey Burgers. Refrigerate any remaining salsa for up to 3 days.
6 To prepare burgers, combine turkey, apple, salt, pepper, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
7 Divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a patty.
8 Lightly coat a large skillet or grill pan with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat.
9 Cook turkey burgers 6 to 8 minutes per side or until done. Serve on toasted buns with Cranberry-Apple Salsa.
Source: U.S. Apple Association