This freeform apple pie is great for busy bakers. Just place the filling in the middle of the pastry and fold the edges in until it touches the filling.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 refrigerated/ready-made piecrust
- Cooking spray
- 6 or 7 baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Dash of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Place apples, sugar, walnuts, flour, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl; toss well.
3. Transfer piecrust to baking sheet.
4. Spoon apple mixture into center of piecrust and fold up sides of pastry to capture apples and juices.
5. Dot with butter. Bake in a 350°F oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
Source: U.S. Apple Association