Nothing screams SPRING louder than the first of the season’s baby artichokes. For quicker preparation, you can use frozen artichokes too.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and shredded (after shredding the potatoes, place them in a large bowl with ice water, so they won’t oxidize and turn rust colored)
- 3 medium leeks (white parts only), thinly sliced
- 2 cups roughly chopped artichoke hearts* (fresh or frozen)
- 3 egg whites, beaten with a whisk until frothy
- 3 to 6 tablespoons matzo meal
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Chopped mint, garlicky aioli, lemon juice, sea salt, for garnish
1. Place shredded potatoes in a large, clean towel. Squeeze out all moisture; make sure the potatoes are completely dry.
2. Place all of remaining ingredients in a large bowl; add potatoes. Mix all ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
3. Heat a large sauté pan with 1½ inches of oil. Drop spoonfuls of fritter batter into the oil. Brown the fritters on both sides. Remove to a platter lined with paper towels.
4. To reheat, place fritters on a baking sheet and heat in a 400°F degree oven until hot.
Serve with Olive Oil Aioli