Tu Bishvat is a Jewish Holiday celebrated by eating food made from seven species: wheat, barley, grapes, figs, pomegranates, olives, and dates. This salad is a wonderful way to do just that.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup pearl barley
- ½ cup wheat berries
- 2 tablespoons Kikkoman® Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Kikkoman® Rice Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon silan (date syrup)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ cup sliced grapes
- ½ cup fresh or dried figs, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped olives
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- Garnish: Pomegranate arils, chopped parsley
- Bring water, barley, and wheat berries to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- While barley is cooking, whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, oil, silan and garlic in a small bowl and set aside.
- Drain any excess water from barley and wheat berries and immediately dress with soy sauce dressing.
- Toss with grapes, figs, olives and parsley.
- Garnish with pomegranate arils and additional parsley leaves.