Serve your chicken in lettuce wraps for fun eat with your hands Summer food.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 1 small jalapeño chili pepper, rinsed and split lengthwise— remove seeds and white membrane, and mince (about 1 tablespoon); for less spice, use green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (about 2–3 cloves)
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar or honey
- 1/2 c water
- 1/2 Tbsp fish sauce, click for vegan recipe
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (or about 4 limes)
- 1 Tbsp peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced (about 2u20133 cloves)
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1 Tbsp lite soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil (optional)
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 (small) head red leaf lettuce, rinsed, dried, and separated into single leaves large enough to create wrap
- 8 fresh basil leaves, whole, rinsed and dried
- 2 cups bok choy or Asian cabbage, rinsed and shredded
1 To prepare the sauce, add all ingredients to a saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat, and let sit in hot saucepan for 3–5 minutes. Chill in refrigerator for about 15 minutes or until cold.
2 Prepare the chicken by heating oil in a large wok or sauté pan. Add ginger and garlic, and stir fry briefly until cooked but not brown, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
3 Add chicken, and continue to stir fry for 5–8 minutes.
4 Add soy sauce, sesame oil (optional), and sesame seeds (optional), and return to a boil. Remove from the heat, and cover with lid to hold warm in hot sauté pan.
5 Assemble each wrap: Place one large red lettuce leaf on a plate, then add ½ cup chicken stir-fry, 1 basil leaf, and ¼ cup shredded cabbage and fold together. Serve two wraps with ¼ cup sauce.